Fungal nail infections are common on both fingernails and toenails. Toenails are more vulnerable to be affected by fungus, as these living organisms thrive in the dark moist environments that the feet provide.
If you suffer from toenail fungus, toenails can change to a yellowish or have brownish discoloration. They will often become thick or brittle over time and break or shed on their own.
Having toenail fungus is unsightly, disfiguring, embarrassing and painful. Unfortunatley nail fungus could happen to any one. It is also a contagious ailment that spreads on-contact!
Abnormal pH level of your skin, trauma to your nail, unhygienic feet and decreased immunity of your body help faciliate the toenail fungus disease..
How to Avoid toenail fungus –
Nail fungus thrives in warm moist areas like day spas, swimming pools, showers or gym changing rooms. If you step into a warm puddle or wet floor, you may pick-up the toenail fungus infection. After you have visited public places, it is imperative to completely clean your feet and feet thoroughly and ensure you dry them well.
- Wear cotton socks to absorb moisture from your feet that occurs when you sweat.
- If you have damp socks, take them off and dry your feet before putting on a fresh pair of dry socks.
- Only wear shoes that have a comfortable fit and that allow plenty of air and moisture to circulate
- Do Not share towels, washcloths, shoes or other personal items with people who have already contracted toenail fungus
- Ensure you wash and dry your toes and feet thoroughly each time. Make use of a towel vigorously to get rid of any dead skin cells and improve circulation.
- Keep your nails cut short, and do not use nail polish.
- Trim your toenails regularly. Make sure you trim them in a straight line and then smooth the sides with a nail file.
Toenail fungus remedy –
Tea tree oil is a potent natural antiseptic and fungicide that will aid in fighting your nail fungus. Apply undiluted tea tree oil with olive oil to the affected toe nail. Alternatively you may put few drops of tea tree oil on toenails and rub it thoroughly every day.
- Soak your toes in Listerine mouthwash. Beleive it or not this powerful antiseptic leaves your toe nails looking healthy.
- Soak your toenails for 15 20 minutes in basin filled with warm water add natural apple cider vinegar mixed in equal proportion. When done, dry your toenails thoroughly. Use a hair dryer on warm setting to absorb all of the moisture around the toes.
- Put equal amount of tea tree oil and lavender oil using a cotton ball or swab. Dab it under the top side of the toenail and surrounding area 2 or 3 times per day. Tea tree oil is natural antibiotic and lavender will help fight toenail fungus and stop skin irritation.
- Blend 2 drops of Oregano essential oil with a tsp of olive oil. Apply this mixture on the affected region daily for NO greater than 3 weeks. Oregano essential oil has antiseptic, antibacterial, antiparasitical, antiviral, analgesic and antifungal properties.
- Until the growth of your new nail is complete, apply apple cider vinegar 2 or 3 times per day.
- Lather AHA creams on to your feet prior to going to bed. This can flush the rough scaly skin from your feet that is more likely to be growing toenail fungus.
Another great natural remedy to cure toenail fungus can be found in this system: Click here